I like to encourage writing every single day in my classroom, but sometimes, I struggle to find a good writing prompt that will engage the creative and critical thinking skills of my students. The CanTeach writing prompt website is an online list of possible writing prompts. Though they’re simple, I like that the prompts are open-ended and built around inquiry . And the simplicity of the site means that I don’t have to take time to learn how to find what I need. I can just scroll down, grab a prompt, and we’re ready to get writing. Once the writing is done, these prompts really open up the classroom for deep discussions, too.
Here are a few prompts from the site that I tucked away for a rainy day:
- If you could only take three people with you on a trip around the world, who would you take and why?
- What do you think makes a good friend?
- What four things are most important in your life?
- How would you describe your house to someone who has never visited there before?
- Who or what has had a strong influence in your life?
- What is your most indispensable possession and why?